Expressive arts is used a means to explore and uncover the qualities and potentialities of a variety of media and modalities (visual arts, dance, music, poetry/spoken word, mask, clown, drama, storytelling). The emphasis is on open exploration and acceptance of what emerges throughout the process. In a supportive atmosphere, participants relax and open to their own potentials while experiencing and playing off of others’.
- Experience the expressive arts process for yourself with a variety of media in a variety of modalities.
- Understand and explore the purpose and philosophy behind expressive arts in teaching and learning with children of a variety of ages and cultural backgrounds.
- Learn how to create the means and space for children to explore and express through a variety of media and modalities.
- Explore and understand the need for individual, small group and large group exploration and expression.
- Set up your own expressive arts process/program given the site, setting and resources you have to work with.